The BC Libraries Cooperative (http://bc.libraries.coop/) seeks a Braille Production Coordinator for a limited-term contract with the National Network for Equitable Library Service (NNELS). The Braille Content Coordinator will be responsible for organizing the selection, purchase, and distribution of a hardcopy braille collection through Canadian public libraries and NNELS. The position will require consultation with braille users as well as Canadian public libraries to determine a strategy for implementation and sustainability. The Braille Production Coordinator will also oversee the production of electronic Braille titles for the NNELS repository. This work is an opportunity to build on some of the recommendations made in the report "Improving Braille Availability in Canadian Public Libraries" (available at https://nnels.ca/braillestudy).
NNELS is a digital public library of books in accessible formats for readers with print disabilities. For more information about NNELS, please visit https://nnels.ca/about.
Specific tasks may include:
- Consulting regularly with the community of braille users in Canada;
- Consulting regularly with the library community in Canada;
- Establishing a list of braille titles for hardcopy and electronic production;
- Contacting braille producers and coordinating production and distribution of material;
- Determining a process for sharing hardcopy braille in Canada through public libraries;
- Documenting best practices for borrowing and lending of braille;
- Providing regular written updates to the Communications Coordinator;
- Documenting work and feedback for NNELS staff and other project teams to advance braille availability in Canada;
- Participating in NNELS-wide discussions concerning braille literacy and braille availability;
- Other duties as assigned.
All training will be provided. This is a virtual office opportunity.
The candidate must provide their own home office, internet connectivity and computer. The Co-op is a "bring your own device (BYOD)" work environment. Employees are required to supply their own computing equipment and ensure that the equipment is fit for the job.
Competencies and qualifications
- Knowledge of the public library environment in Canada;
- Knowledge of or interest in braille and electronic braille formats;
- Passion for braille literacy;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience developing processes, policies, and best practices is an asset;
- Ability to manage stress with a sense of humour;
- Ability to work collaboratively and positively with individuals and groups in a distributed environment (team members do not all work in one location);
- Bilingual (French/English) written and verbal skills desirable.
What We Offer
- Flexibility: while the Co-op is headquartered in downtown Vancouver, this is a virtual office opportunity.
- The opportunity to be part of an energetic, supportive, and dynamic team in a growing community enterprise.
- Exciting opportunities to have a positive effect on library services and the lives of readers across the country.
- This position is a limited-term contract opportunity.
- Start date 8 October, 2018 and ending March 31, 2019.
- Salary: $35/hr for a total of 375 hours (approximately 15 hours/week)
How to apply
This posting is now closed. We accepted applications until 1600 Pacific Time, September 24, 2018.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The BC Libraries Cooperative hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from visible minority group members, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply for the positions we post; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.