The BC Libraries Cooperative (http://bc.libraries.coop/) seeks a Cataloguing and Metadata Librarian for limited-term employment with the National Network for Equitable Library Service (NNELS). Reporting to the Content Coordinator, the Cataloguing and Metadata Librarian is responsible for creating and maintaining accurate and thorough online descriptions and access points for materials of all formats in the NNELS repository.
NNELS is a digital public library of books in accessible formats for readers with print disabilities. For more information about NNELS, please visit https://nnels.ca/about.
Specific tasks may include:
- Developing a Subject Taxonomy for the NNELS repository including mappings to LCSH, or explore the possibility of using and implementing OCLC Fast;
- Developing a Publisher Taxonomy for the NNELS repository;
- Reviewing and refining the NNELS MARC XML exporter to ensure it meets all required standards for sharing amongst partner organizations and libraries, i.e. OCLC, Accessible Book Consortium.
- Other duties and projects as required.
All training will be provided. This is a virtual office opportunity.
The position requires that candidates:
- Evaluate and improve NNELS record quality and catalogue integrity.
- Perform original and copy cataloging for electronic resources.
- Assist in the processing and publication of content in Drupal.
The candidate must provide their own home office, internet connectivity and computer. The Co-op is a "bring your own device (BYOD)" work environment. Employees are required to supply their own computing equipment and ensure that the equipment is fit for the job.
Competencies and qualifications:
- Master's Degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution of higher education.
- Experience with library cataloging and metadata creation of material in electronic/digital formats.
- Experience with metadata issues related to the discovery of resources with web-based search engines.
- Experience planning and implementing metadata schema for digital collections;
- Knowledge of metadata concepts and standards, and familiarity with the concept of data formats (XML, JSON, MARC, etc.) would be helpful.
- Knowledge of MarcEdit.
- Familiarity with ONIX is an asset.
- Knowledge and experience with Drupal is an asset.
- Ability to manage stress (with a sense of humour).
- Ability to work collaboratively and positively with individuals and groups in a distributed environment (team members do not all work in one location).
- Bilingual (French/English) written and verbal skills desirable.
What We Offer
- Flexibility: while the Co-op is headquartered in downtown Vancouver, this is a virtual office opportunity.
- The opportunity to be part of an energetic, supportive, and dynamic team in a growing community enterprise.
- Exciting opportunities to have a positive effect on library services and the lives of readers across the country.
- This position is a limited-term employment opportunity.
- Start date as early as September 24, 2018 and ending March 31, 2019.
- Salary: $35/hr for a total of 660 hours per position (hours/week to be determined by start date)
How to apply
This posting is now closed. We accepted applications until 1600 Pacific Time, September 24, 2018.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The BC Libraries Cooperative hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from visible minority group members, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply for the positions we post; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.