These instructions were originally provided by another organization, and were specific to their work. If you would like to suggest changes, please post in the forums or contact us.
Tools: OmniPage/ABBYY Fine Reader
- Have the book spine cut off so the stack of pages can be scanned.
- Fan the pages to check if the pages are still glued together.
- Open ABBYY fine reader software
- Click on the button to start the scanning.
- Note: Choose automatic OCR
- When the pages are done scanning, a dialog box will open asking if you wish to scan more pages.
Save to FileDialogue box will open to select your preferred location.
- Save the scanned files
- In File Name box, type the name accordingly.
- In File Options box, select
Create one file for all pages.
- In Page Range box, select
- Select the corresponding folder and click
- Close the current scanned file, load the next stack of pages and start the process anew.
- Before saving, review the pages visible to you to make sure that the settings have ensured decent file quality:
- PDF files are clear, text is legible and OCR'd, images are visible and there are not an undue number of streaks or smudges on the pages from unclean scanning glass.
- There shouldn't be more than a narrow white margin surrounding the pages themselves, nor should any content be cut off at the edges.
- If the quality is not satisfying, change the scanner settings as needed, until you find the appropriate setting
The original procedures to create alternate format materials were published under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License with original authorship attributed to the work teams and best practices of the College and Institute Library Services (CILS) group of Langara College operated under the services of the Government of British Columbia, Ministry of Advanced Education.