The BC Libraries Cooperative (http://bc.libraries.coop/) seeks two Cataloguers for limited-term employment with the National Network for Equitable Library Service (NNELS). Reporting to the Content Coordinator, the Cataloguers are responsible for creating and maintaining accurate and thorough online descriptions and access points for materials of all formats in the NNELS repository.
NNELS is a digital public library of books in accessible formats for readers with print disabilities. For more information about NNELS, please visit https://nnels.ca/about.
Specific tasks may include:
- Import and export of records;
- Parsing and evaluating records;
- Working on copyright clearance for production requests;
- Producing books in accessible formats, including e-text, PDF, and DAISY;
- Retrospective metadata conversion, such as for subject and genre headings;
- Other duties and projects as required.
All training will be provided. This is a virtual office opportunity.
The position requires that candidates be:
- Able to follow written and verbal instructions.
The candidate must provide their own home office, internet connectivity and computer. The Co-op is a "bring your own device (BYOD)" work environment. Employees are required to supply their own computing equipment and ensure that the equipment is fit for the job.
Competencies and qualifications
- Post-secondary education in a relevant discipline (MLIS, Library Technician Diploma, or similar);
- Knowledge of AACR2 and RDA, Dublin Core, LC subject headings, and MARC format;
- Experience with copy cataloguing and cataloguing principles;
- Familiarity with Drupal, Evergreen, and MarcEdit is an asset;
- Ability to manage stress with a sense of humour;
- Ability to work collaboratively and positively with individuals and groups in a distributed environment (team members do not all work in one location);
- Bilingual (French/English) written and verbal skills desirable.
What We Offer
- Flexibility: while the Co-op is headquartered in downtown Vancouver, this is a virtual office opportunity.
- The opportunity to be part of an energetic, supportive, and dynamic team in a growing community enterprise.
- Exciting opportunities to have a positive effect on library services and the lives of readers across the country.
- This position is a limited-term employment opportunity.
- Start date as early as September 24, 2018 and ending March 31, 2019.
- Salary: $30/hr for a total of 660 hours per position (hours/week to be determined by start date).
How to apply
This posting is now closed. We accepted applications until 1600 Pacific Time, September 20, 2018.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The BC Libraries Cooperative hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from visible minority group members, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply for the positions we post; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.