Please note: These instructions are written for Windows computers. Most of these steps are similar on a Mac, but please email us if you come across unexpected roadblocks. Thank you!
- You need an account with contributor or higher access.
- Please make sure that you scan any files with anti-virus software (such as Panda on Windows, Sophos on Mac) before uploading them to NNELS.
Before following this tutorial, please log in to NNELS.
- Find the book (using the backend search) you are looking for, and click on the title to get to the detailed title page.
- Click on the "Add New" or "Edit" button as appropriate.
- Fill in or change all appropriate fields (also refer to image below). Please also refer to notes in the next section as necessary.
- To add a new file, "Browse..." for the file you want to upload, and make sure to click on the "Upload" button and wait until the upload is complete before saving.
- Choose the appropriate "File Format".
- Narrator is the narrator's or performer's name in direct order (firstname lastname).
- One performer name per row. Use the "Add another item" button if there are multiple performers.
- Running Time is total time in HHMMSS format.
- Use 00 for SS if seconds are unknown.
- Click on the "Save" button at the bottom.
Filling in Format, Narrator, and Runtime
If the file you downloaded is a .zip file, you may need to unzip the file after downloading before following certain instructions in this section.
Format should be relatively easy. Look at the extension of the file name.
- DAISY202 if the folder contains a "ncc.html" file
- DAISY3 if the folder contains a .opf file
- MP3 If all files (except the playlist file(s)) are .mp3
- PDF for .pdf
- e-text for .rtf, .doc, .docx, and .html
- EPUB2 for .epub version 2
- EPUB3 for .epub version 3
- Braille refers to any electronic Braille format, typically .brf
If you are unsure which EPUB version your file is, consider following the instructions on how to check your EPUB file version (external site).
In Windows Explorer, you can right click on the file and choose "Properties" and look at "Type of File" to view the extension once.
Another option is to change your Windows Explorer setting to always show file extensions (external link).
Synthesized, Unknown, or Anonymous Narrator
If a live narrator wishes to remain anonymous or is unknown, please use either "Unknown Male" or "Unknown Female".
Synthesized voices should use the format "Company Voicename". For example, "Apple Alex".
When trying to determine the narrator's voice, you should be able to tell whether it is synthesized simply by listening to one of the audio files.
If the audio is synthesized, based on the current collection in NNELS, please use one of the following:
- "Apple Alex" for male English voice
- "Apple Samatha" for female American English voice
- "Apple Karen" for female Australian English voice
- "Apple Female" for female unknown English voice
Determining MP3 Narrator & Runtime
- Open Windows Explorer and find the MP3 files.
- Right click on one of the MP3 files and choose "Properties".
- Click on the "Details" tab.
The narrator is usually listed under the "Comments" section. You may need to click on the comment to see the full name.
The runtime can be found by selecting all the MP3 files in the folder, then at the bottom-right, clicking on "Show more details...". The runtime will be listed as "Length".
Determining DAISY Narrator & Runtime
- Find the folder with the DAISY book.
- Open the following file in a plain text editor (for Windows, use Notepad):
- ncc.html (for DAISY 2.02)
- .opf file (for DAISY 3)
Look for the "totalTime" and "narrator" near the top of the file.