If you're interested in using our services, please submit the Request for Services Form.
NNELS is a publicly funded organization that provides digital public library services to Canadians with print disabilities in addition to a range of digital publishing services for Canadian publishers, post-secondary institutions, and government clients.
NNELS employs a team of accessibility, ebook and audiobook experts, including experts with various print disabilities who have extensive experience using assistive technologies to assess accessibility in reading applications, websites, and documents.
Audiobooks: Conversion to DAISY
- Remediation and conversion of your existing commercial audiobooks to accessible audiobooks in both MP3 and DAISY audiobook formats. We can also convert to LPF format (W3C Audiobook) upon request; however this is not yet a widely supported audiobook format.
eBooks: Audits and Image Descriptions
- Writing image descriptions for your books.
- Quality Assurance for written image descriptions. Includes proof-reading and constructive feedback.
- Audits of your EPUB ebooks including concrete recommendations on how to update your files to ensure accessibility.
- Systematic evaluations of the accessibility of your desktop and/or mobile websites, including concrete recommendations on how to bring your website into alignment with WCAG 2.1 level AA compliance.
Reading Applications: Audits
- Systematic evaluations of the accessibility of your reading system application, including concrete recommendations on how to remove accessibility barriers for people with print disabilities who rely on assistive technologies.
We offer various workshops depending on your needs, including workshops on:
- Accessible content production for eBooks, audiobooks, websites, and other documents.
- Best practices for describing images, which includes how to write different types of image descriptions. Note: this workshop can be tailored to match the type of images you commonly use in your publications.