Before you can begin, you must purchase and install the Voice Dream Reader app on your iOS phone or iPad OS tablet. For Android devices, you will need to get Legere Reader, formerly Voice Dream Reader. This is a paid app but there are occasional sales (announced on Voice Dream's Twitter feed).
Notes from experience:
- Downloads can timeout if the screen goes to sleep. To avoid this problem, set your device to not go to sleep while you are downloading books, then change the settings back when you are done.
- Downloads can slow down or timeout if the focus is not on the Voice Dream Reader app (e.g. you're doing other things on your phone or tablet), so aim to download when you don't need to do anything else on your device.
- Voice Dream Reader's support page is very helpful.
- Voice Dream works with any format you can find on the NNELS site. For e-text files (doc or rtf), Voice Dream Reader ignores the navigation and headings. If navigation and headings are important to use, please use (or request a title, if it is not available) a DAISY version of the book you require.
- Open a browser window in Chrome;
- Log into your NNELS account;
- Search for the book you want;
- The only books in NNELS that will not work in the Android version of Voice Dream Reader are MP3 audiobooks with the publisher "Crane Library". If you require a book from Crane Library to use with Voice Dream, please let us know so we can convert it to a standard MP3 audiobook for you.
- In the browser window, go to “Share” and select “Voice Dream Reader” as the app.
- Wait for the file to load.
Step 1: Add NNELS as a content source (only have to do this once):
- Open the Voice Dream Reader app;
- Tap on the + sign to add content, and select "More";
- Scroll to the bottom of the options, select "Add Web Site", select NNELS, then "Save" (top right-hand corner), and then exit back to the home library.
- Now, when you go to add a book (tapping on the plus symbol), NNELS should appear as one of the default options.
Step 2: Download books from NNELS:
- Tap on the + sign to add content, and select NNELS.
- Tap on the Login button and enter your library card number and PIN.
- Search for the book you want to download, then tap on the Download link.
- Wait for the file to load. When you receive confirmation that the load is complete, tap "OK". When you're ready to read, tap "Done" to close the browser window.
If you find a book that does not work with this app, please report it to us so we can fix the problem. Thank you!
You can also adjust the speech rate, add and manage voices by tapping the Audio Settings icon. Once again, Voice Dream Reader's support page is very helpful.