Before you can begin, you must install the Voice Dream Reader app on your iOS or Android phone or tablet.
Step 1: Add NNELS as a content source:
- Open the Voice Dream app on your device.
- Select Settings (the gear symbol) and then Content Sources.
- Scroll to the bottom of the options, select Add Web Site, select NNELS, and save.
- Now when you go to Add a book (tapping on the plus symbol), NNELS should appear as one of your options.
Step 2: Download books from NNELS:
- Go to Add, open NNELS.
- Tap the Login button and enter your library card number and PIN.
- Search for the book you want to download, then tap on the Download link. Voice Dream works with DAISY, MP3, e-text, PDF, or EPUB (basically any format you can find on the NNELS site).
- Wait for the file to load. When you receive confirmation that the load is complete, tap "OK". When you're ready to read, tap "Done" to close the browser window.
- Back in the Voice Dream app, the new title will be in the list of items.
- To begin listening to the book, select your title from the list and tap the Play arrow.
If you find a book that does not work with this app, please report it to NNELS staff so that the problem can be fixed. Thank you!
You can also adjust the speech rate, add and manage voices by tapping the Audio Settings icon. For more help with Voice Dream, please see their User Manual.
See below for a 4-minute video of a vision impaired reader using Voice Dream Reader on her iPad.